ocba - [ocba] Advice needed and maybe some brood

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Starks, Walter" <Walter.Starks AT facilities.unc.edu>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Advice needed and maybe some brood
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 17:55:49 +0000

I caught a swarm on Apr 9th, but after nearly 3 weeks I still have no eggs or
brood only 3 frames with a little unfinished comb (uncapped) and a bunch of
bees doing a good imitation of couch potatoes. Since I haven't been able to
find a queen and there isn't any brood I've ordered a Carniolan/Russian
Hygenic queen from a supplier in CA that I hope to receive sometime in the
next week.

Does anyone have any experience with installing these queens? I know the pure
Russian queens require special installations.

Should I also plan to install some brood frames? I'm worried since I don't
know how old the bees in the swarm were that they might all die before any
eggs from the new queen can mature. I don't have another hive to get any
brood from though.

Any ideas? I would like to save this hive if possible.
______

Walter