ocba - [ocba] Swarm Alert

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm Alert
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 12:46:00 -0400

As of about noon today I have a swarm about 40 feet up an oak tree, if someone wants it.  It is beyond my reach.  It’s rather large.  I watched the mass move from the front of their hive high into the air and then settle on the limb of a tree.  Directly below it (about 30 feet below) I plan to put a hive box on the top step of an 8 foot ladder (with a bowl of honey on top of the hive) and see if I can coax them down, but if someone can climb trees and catch swarms, have at it.

If no one can take it and I cannot catch it I presume Mother Nature will take it.

Tom Grizzle

1541 Ferrell Road

Chapel Hill

919.967.5199

griz AT mindspring.com

  • [ocba] Swarm Alert, Thomas Grizzle, 04/25/2014