ocba - [ocba] strange behavior

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Cheryl Kozel <cherylkozel1641 AT att.net>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] strange behavior
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:02:08 -0700 (PDT)

Good Evening:
I installed 2packages on Saturday. One hive seems to be doing well.

The other hive is not doing as well. On Sunday, I noticed a lot of bees on the ground in front of the hive. Many were dead and the others
seemed to be disoriented and flopping around on the ground. I checked the hive last night and the queen had not been released but was active in her cage. I checked tonight and the queen had died as had two of the attendant bees. I have attached a video of some of the
strange behavior I have noticed over the last couple days.
Any one have any insight as to what is happening?   I beleive the appropriate action will be to join the hives and monitor for a split later?
Thanks
Cheryl Kozel

  • [ocba] strange behavior, Cheryl Kozel, 04/24/2014