ocba - [ocba] To split or not to split...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Hamsiba Family <hamsibas AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] To split or not to split...
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:02:57 -0400

I have what was a weaker hive, but now is pretty darned full.

- It has 5 frames of brood in each of the upper and lower of two 10 frame deeps, so a total of 10+ frames of brood.
- Lots of honey & pollen everywhere else hemming it all in.
- I put a super of undrawn foundation over a queen excluder a week or so ago but there is still no activity up there, and there is not a good honey barrier on top of the top deep either, so I plan to leave it for a while longer.
- The crowd at the door is still not as much as the stronger hive, but I anticipate it is about to get to be a lot more.
- I also see several queen cells, both open and closed....  I am afraid it is about to swarm.  Or just supersede?  The queen has always been a slow layer...

Should I wait til more hatch out?  Go ahead and split now?  We only have the two hives so far and would like more, in fact we have next hive bodies and frames waiting to do it.  No plans to buy a queen, strictly DIY for these girls.

Suggestions?

Thanks,  Brad Kosiba

  • [ocba] To split or not to split..., Hamsiba Family, 04/23/2014