ocba - Re: [ocba] Questions related to upward migration

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Questions related to upward migration
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 13:20:53 -0400 (EDT)

Phil,
This is a great question.  Give yourself a pat on the back for recognizing the congestion and understanding where this situation was headed.

There are likely as many ways to deal with this as there are beekeepers and it really depends on what your goals for this year are.  Let's look at the suggestions you presented in your post.

1.  Do nothing and hope for the best?  There is a chance that the nectar flow will push the queen down in to the brood chamber, but my gut tells me a swarm is the most likely outcome in the do nothing scenario.  Swarms are most definitely fun to catch and hive.  If catching swarms is a goal, then this is a reasonable approach.  I will say that catching one's own swarms is not nearly as fun as catching the other guy's swarms.

2.  Remove or relocate the deep (but I really don't want honey in the deep).  We probably don't want 3 supers full of brood either but it's what we have so let's roll with it.  Simply move your deep to the top now.  Actually I think I would put your super of honey on the very top, your empty deep would be next, then everything else on bottom.  Your queen will likely make her way in to the deep and begin laying there.  Once she is established there, move the deep back to the bottom with another medium of brood.  Put a queen excluder on next, then the rest of your boxes above that.  Make sure your queen is below the excluder.  Any brood above the excluder will emerge and the bees can back fill those with honey.

3.  Try a split.  I think now is a fine time to split colonies.  Divide your resources (eggs, uncapped brood, capped brood, honey, and pollen) evenly.  Let the split raise their own queen.  Make sure you have eggs in each half and don't worry where the queen is when you do the split.  You will know in 5 days which colony has the queen (the colony with the queen will have eggs, the queen without will have queen cells).

If you choose #2 you may want to free up some space in the brood nest by placing a frame or 2 of foundation in each of the crowded brood boxes to relieve some pressure.  Keep an eye out for swarm cells as you do your inspection.  If they are there, go ahead and do a split.

I hope others will chime in.

Lewis