ocba - [ocba] Questions related to upward migration

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Questions related to upward migration
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 13:18:35 -0400

Greetings all! I was cleaning up my hive for the first time since fall earlier this week and noticed that the bees were looking really crowded inside the hive.

My setup has a deep and three mediums. The lowest two mediums were chock full of brood, pollen and some capped honey, the top medium was about half-and-half capped-and-uncapped honey, but the bottom deep is like a ghost town...no brood, no pollen, no honey.

My questions are about trying to prevent a swarm. The bees look like they are climbing over one another in the upper three mediums which is very similar to what I noticed last year just before one of my hives swarmed (the remainder of which ultimately died).

So what would you do? Do nothing and hope for the best? Remove or relocate the deep (but I really don't want honey in the deep). Try a split (which is something I have never done)?

I have ordered a couple packages and have a couple of ready hives if I need to split.

Appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or cautionary tales.

Phil