ocba - [ocba] Cold Weather

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Cold Weather
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:55:46 -0500

Hey y’all,

The forecast for Tuesday morning is 9 oF.  With this unusually cold weather, is there anything that could be done to your average bee hive to give them a helping hand?  I have a total of two, so I’d be willing to wrap the hive in blankets if that’s not silly.  If it makes no significant difference I’ll twiddle my thumbs instead.  I know they have honey stores galore…assuming the bees are not too cold to walk a few centimeters to get it.

Thanks, in advance.

Tom