ocba - [ocba] Statewide Folklife Festival

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Rex L. Williams, Jr." <rexwilliams.03 AT gmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Statewide Folklife Festival
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:47:06 -0400

Hello Fellow Beekeepers,

I hope you are all doing well this fall and that everyone’s hives are getting ready for the winter.  There has been a (very) short-notice request for one or more beekeepers to participate in the Statewide Folklife Festival this Saturday in Carrboro.  It is a booth that they are hoping for and participants are highly encouraged to sell the output of their respective activities.  Apparently the beekeepers they had lined up have had to cancel and they are hoping to get someone to fill in.  Setup is at 8am and the event runs from 10am to 5pm.  I have attached information regarding the event and copied the text of the invite letter below.

I realize that it is very short-notice and have informed them that we may not be able to place someone there.  That said, it is an opportunity to sell any honey or waxwork you may have stocked up.  If you are up for participating, I can get any supplies you may want from the outreach box to you on Friday afternoon.  Let me know if you are interested and I can put you in contact with the organizers.

Rex

Rex Williams

OCBA, Director

979-218-8728

rexwilliams.03 AT gmail.com

Invite Letter:

I’m writing to invite you to participate in the 2013 Statewide Folklife Festival Saturday September 28 in Carrboro, NC. In addition to featuring music, dance, crafts, and other North Carolina traditions, this folklife festival is showcasing a special component called Traditional Foodways for Modern Health and we would like for you to be part of it!

When we say traditional foodways, we mean all the ways people in a community interact with food from growing and cooking, to processing, eating, or using in other ways. Traditional foods can sometimes get a bad reputation when talking about health – think butter and bacon – but actually many communities are finding that reclaiming traditions and putting heritage and community first are the keys to successful health initiatives. Here are a few examples:

·         Young people drawing on elders’ remembered knowledge about traditional agriculture to make their community garden an entrepreneurial success

·         Traditional beekeeping and honey helping to improve garden yields and decrease allergies

·         Catch organizations promoting local commercial fishing while providing fresh seafood to state residents

·         Using traditional cleaning methods to reduce exposure to toxic chemicals

We would love for your story to be included! It is a great opportunity for teaching, promoting your work, and selling products (if applicable).

Details: Traditional Foodways for Modern Health will be located at Carrboro Elementary School (400 Shelton Street, Carrboro, NC 27510). Set up begins at 8 am, with festival running from 10-5.

Please fill out the attached participation form?