ocba - [ocba] State Fair Entries

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mary leonhardi <mleonhardi AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bee Assoc. <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] State Fair Entries
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 08:33:36 -0400

Hello Fellow Beekeepers!

Fall is a time to appreciate the fruit of our harvests.  It's also almost state fair time.  I imamgine most of you know that there is a honey competition at the fair, but I wonder how many of you knew that there are a total of 20 different categories related to bee products that can be entered.  Those categories include:
     1) photos, models or samples of plants important to bees, 2) comb and bulk honey frames, 3) cut comb honey, 4) chunk honey in jars, 5) extracted honey, 6) creamed honey, 7) beeswax in bulk, 8) pure beeswax products, 9) novelty items containing beeswax, 10) observation hive, 11) display booth (OCBA is doing this), 12) gift package of bee products, 13) mead, 14) bee photography, 15) beekeeping coloring book, 16) senior honey competition, 17) bulk display, 18) non honey bee products, 19) junior honey competition(under 16 years), 20) foods cooked with honey.

There are monetary prizes totaling $3,352.  For more information on the specific categories, please go to the following link: http://www.ncstatefair.org/2013/Competitions/PremiumBook/2013DeptI.pdf.  Entry is electronically at: https://www.blueribbonfair.com/BRFairProd/BlueRibbonStart.aspx?ID=2088, or you can print an application from the following link:  http://www.ncstatefair.org/2013/Competitions/PremiumBook/FormGeneral.pdf.

Additional guidelines for judging can be found at: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/entomology/apiculture/pdfs/3.12%20copy.pdf.

All entries are due by 5:00 pm on September 19, 2013
.  Products must be delivered by October 16, the fair runs from October 17-27, and pickup is October 28.  There are additional guidelines for extracted honey

Since the OCBA is taking a display to the fair, anyone who wishes their products delivered and picked up can have us do that, or you can choose to deliver you entry(ies) yourself to Raleigh.

Please consider entering something into the state fair.  If this is your first year of beekeeping, as it is mine, be thinking about entering next year when you have an established hive and more products available!  Even if you enter nothing, please stop by and see our booth and the OCBA display.

Any questions, call Mary Leonhardi at 313-320-6379 or 919-245-0551.

  • [ocba] State Fair Entries, mary leonhardi, 08/31/2013