ocba - [ocba] Varroa count taken on Sunday the 25th

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Nerissa Rivera <nerissa.rivera AT duke.edu>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Varroa count taken on Sunday the 25th
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 16:33:16 +0000

So James and I went out to inspect the hives on Sunday and I’m very glad we did.  We did a sugar shake test and found 7 mites in one hive and 0  mites in hive 2.  We had done a test almost exactly one month prior and got 0 in hive two and had 2 mites in hive one.  Hive one with the higher mite count seems stronger.  It has capped brood, pollen and lots of capped honey.  Hive two seems to have less honey and we found less capped brood.  This hive also had an infestation of ants that we’re trying to get rid of and both hives have evidence of SHB.

We plan to treat with Thymol tomorrow- Friday (sorry I have to work and we’ve had a lot on our plates) and get three treatments in by end of month.  My question is –should we go ahead and just treat both hives??  I’m afraid that the weaker hive may be further devastated by varroa over the winter despite the sugar shake tests not showing any evidence of mites in that hive.

Anyone have any suggestions about the ants??  We put diatomaceous earth around the area where the hives are as a precaution.

Thanks,

Nerissa

Nerissa Rivera

Associate Director

Undergraduate Financial Aid

Box 90397

2127 Campus Drive Annex

919-684-6910 (tel)

919-660-9811 (fax)

  • [ocba] Varroa count taken on Sunday the 25th, Nerissa Rivera, 08/29/2013