ocba - [ocba] First timer questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lew Hassell <lew.hassell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] First timer questions
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 12:52:51 -0400

  A number of questions from a first time bee-er.
    Just came in from adding my first super on both my hives.  These are from
    the April 19 batch.  There is lots of brood, some honey around the brood,
    and a couple of frames with honey and pollen.  Is this timing right?
    I also noticed in at least one hive what seemed to be a queen cell being
    drawn.  Is this right?
    Lastly, I noticed wood roaches, mainly dead (I am assuming the ladies did
    that job), in both hives.  But I also saw on very alive black widow in the
    top of one hive.  Well, it was alive until I crushed it with a (leather
    gloved) hand.  Do/can/will bees kill black widows?
    Thanks in advance for answers.  And happy Memorial Day to all.
    Lew H

  • [ocba] First timer questions, Lew Hassell, 05/28/2013