ocba - [ocba] checked on bees this weekend

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Nerissa Rivera <nerissa.rivera AT duke.edu>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] checked on bees this weekend
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 12:45:07 +0000

So James and I checked on the bees this weekend.

We saw a few (3) hive beetles so we’re definitely going to need to watch that.

The bees were busy making honey and the queen was definitely laying away.  Saw lots of brood and capped honey.  We added a queen excluder between the second and third boxes on both hives, after making sure the queen still had plenty of laying space.  (We’re using medium 8 frame supers).   Did a sugar test but we did it wrong—yeah I know that was silly.  We didn’t see any mites on the bees themselves which we’re hoping is a good sign.  Deciding that we had riled up the bees enough for one day, we decided to hold off a week or 2 before attempting it again.

Can any of the more experienced beekeepers tell me what to expect for the next month or so?? When should we start feeding again for the summer??  All replies are appreciated!

Thanks,

Nerissa

Nerissa Rivera

Associate Director

Undergraduate Financial Aid

Box 90397

2127 Campus Drive Annex

919-684-6910 (tel)

919-660-9811 (fax)

  • [ocba] checked on bees this weekend, Nerissa Rivera, 05/28/2013