ocba - [ocba] Varroa Confirmed

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Varroa Confirmed
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 15:55:48 -0400

Hey y’all,

It was confirmed yesterday that one of my two hives is heavily infested with Varroa mites.  The sugar shake test of what was probably a bit over 300 bees had around 30 mites present.  My other hive was also tested and it had about 1-3 mites (two tests were conducted on the later hive, only one test on the former).

I would appreciate any and all opinions on how to treat this.  I recently split this hive off from the other and thought it was ok, much to my surprise!  We did move a frame that had a lot of drone cells into this hive, so perhaps this is the unintended source.  It may or may not have a queen (I suck rocks when it comes to finding the GD queen!), so in any event, even before the varroa, it was a struggling hive due to the split.  Does one need to keep this in mind when suggesting a treatment vs. a stronger hive?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice!

Tom

  • [ocba] Varroa Confirmed, Thomas Grizzle, 03/31/2013