ocba - [ocba] article about 2013 Almond season

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Debbie Roos <Debbie.Roos AT chathamnc.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] article about 2013 Almond season
  • Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:53:44 -0500

Howdy All,

Here is a new MSN article about the lack of bees in the build up to the almond blooms this year.

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/california-almonds-threatened-by-fewer-bees#tscptmf

Though I disagree with the article in that CCD is the total cause for the decline in bees this year. I do agree that once all the reports are in we will have a record year in bee deaths! What is a bit scary is that, as the article highlights (Bee decline VS Almond production) the two projections are at odds. Completely unsustainable!

A crazy fact: "California's orchards provide about 80 percent of the global almond supply."

Cheers,
Marty Hanks
just bee

  • [ocba] article about 2013 Almond season, Marty Hanks, 02/17/2013