ocba - [ocba] Yellow Jackets

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Guerrero <catherinelguerrero AT gmail.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Yellow Jackets
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 17:17:24 -0500

Hey All,

I need some advice on a hive I have that isn't doing very well. It got attacked by yellow jackets and it seems like they ate most of the brood. I put reducers on last week, and today it looks like there is still very little capped brood, but there are eggs in the hive in a good solid pattern. Also, no yellow jackets in the hive. I think that's a good thing, because everything I have read says that the yellow jackets probably ate the brood and adults, too. Would yellow jackets have eaten most of the brood? The reason I am asking is because today when I went in the hive I noticed one bee with DWV. When I did a mite count a couple of months ago I had nine on the sticky board, so I didn't treat. I am wondering if should go ahead and treat tomorrow, or if, because there is very little brood (but now eggs), would it make any difference to treat.

I have looked for other signs of brood disease, but don't see anything else other than just a very, very small brood nest.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Catherine

  • [ocba] Yellow Jackets, Catherine Guerrero, 11/09/2012