ocba - [ocba] size of hives for winter

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Sally Freeman <sallyfreeman AT earthlink.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] size of hives for winter
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:19:13 -0500

Hi,

I have two hives, started this spring that are comprised of 3 medium 8 frame
boxes. As of today, there are 10 to 12 frames of food in each hive with bees
covering maybe 1/3 of the frames in the hives. Should I move the food frames
so that each hive has only 2 boxes? And add the 3rd when the population
starts growing again? Or since all three boxes are "brood" boxes, should I
just leave them?

I have started feeding them 2:1 syrup.

Thanks for any help!
Sally

  • [ocba] size of hives for winter, Sally Freeman, 11/05/2012