ocba - [ocba] beetlejail.com

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Sandy Pruitt <spruitt56 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] beetlejail.com
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 15:22:02 -0400

Here is a pic of the new beetle jail Baitable.  It is a much improved version of the reg beetle jail (not baitable) that supplyers have sold for some time.  Beetlejail.com is the supply house now and does not charge shipping.  The center compartment has a reservoir for baiting with apple cider vinegar, apple cider, apple,  and the other ends you can fill 1/4 way up with mineral oil, or vaseline, or diatomaceous earth. Top rack dishwasher safe ( I rarely clean them since dead beetles also attract live beetles.) Put one on outside frames, year round. I strongly recommend BJB for every hive, and only add the West beetle tray trap at the bottom if you already have beetle worms in your hive.  Just don't forget to clean it every 2 weeks. I think the key to managing SHB is simply the rule-Hives must be 80% covered in bees. Compress if you have to, but the frames must be patrolled to be protected.   Tough to do if you have alot of hives.

--
Sandy Pruitt

  • [ocba] beetlejail.com, Sandy Pruitt, 09/20/2012