ocba - Re: [ocba] [NaturalBeesinNC] Fwd: Wax moth trap

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: annallys Goodwin-Landher <annallys AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Natural Beekeeping <naturalbeesinnc AT yahoogroups.com>, OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] [NaturalBeesinNC] Fwd: Wax moth trap
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:55:59 -0400

I hang the plastic jug in a tree because somekind of night time critter likes to chew holes in the containers.  I've even put glass jars in the tree to ensure the mixture doesn't end up as a tasty treat.

In addition to the traps I add a quarter inch strip to a solid bottom board then install it under the screened bottom board (turned 180 degrees from the front), purchase a white tray from Better BEE, drill two holes in one end and loop light wire or an old shoelace through the holes then place the tray on the solid bottom board.  The tray collects varroa (which cannot get out of it), brood cappings and wax moths   I clean the tray once a week and freeze the contents - kills any wax moth larvae or coocoons, and I can also get a sense of the number of varroa dropping.  The bees have full access and can patrol this area except when it's closed off during the coldest winter months.    This methods extremely helpful in mid winter, as I pull a tray and can tell when new brood are uncapped and pollens being brought into the hive.  It's the middle way.  We started using ventilated bottoms on hives with the advent of varroa and hive beetles even though Feral colonies prefer a less ventilated space.
http://www.betterbee.com/Products/10-Frame-Hive-Components/10-Frame-Varroa-Screen-with-Entrance-Closure

Regards,

Annallys Goodwin-Landher
919 933-9109
annallys AT hotmail.com

Four years after the bees are gone, humanity is gone.

Albert Einstein