ocba - [ocba] Fwd: Wax moth trap

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Fwd: Wax moth trap
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 20:27:35 -0400

Hi,

I finally got around to making the wax moth trap everyone was talking about. I had to do a reminder shout out to Elisabeth and Frank for the formula. THANKS!

WAY to easy to make and i already have caught 5-6 moths in each in just 24 hours!!

Sorry usually i am the "you stay out of my house and i let you live" kind of guy, but there have been WAY to many wax moths in my hives here at the main bee yard. So i made two if these in 5 mins and flanked the hives w/ them.

* 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 cup water and an old banana all mixed together. I pulled these out of the recycling so there is no top, but the foil is working fine. I cut a small front entrance slot...and that's it. The idea-theory is the combined material smells like a weak hive. *NOTE: i had a couple frames w/  wax moth damage so i crushed a few pieces of that and tossed it in for good measure.

Works Great!

marty