ocba - Re: [ocba] Downed bee tree in chapel hill

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: David Langham <davidlangham5 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Downed bee tree in chapel hill
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:18:31 -0400

I have successfully removed bees from a boat by making a cone that ended with a one way bee escape and attaching it to the boat in such a way that the bees could get back in the boat.  At the end of the bee escape, I setup a nuc with a frame of honey and a frame of eggs and uncapped brood with no bees in it.  2-3 days later, I went into the nuc and introduced a queen (in the cage).  After a little while, I had most of the bees from the boat (minus the queen) in the nuc with a released new queen.  I sealed up the boat and moved the nuc to my bee yard.  I still have my cone if someone wanted to come by the house tonight and borrow it to try it out.  The trick is that you must be able to seal the tree in such a way that the bees can't get back in.

David (919 943-0589)