ocba - [ocba] Advice Requested: Bees @ Community Swimming Pool

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: John Nicholson <jlnicholson AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Advice Requested: Bees @ Community Swimming Pool
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 17:59:11 -0400

Greeting:

I live close to the Heritage Hills swimming pool in Southern Orange
County and am hoping to serve as a liaison between the pool staff and
members and our group of beekeepers. They have a significant bee
"problem" at the pool that has led the staff (mainly uninformed
teenagers) to set up traps that are pretty good at killing bees. I saw
several drink bottles full of dead bees in the short time I was
there....I spoke with the manager and apparently they also spray some
kind of insecticide around the edge of the pool as well. I was
surprised at the number of bees on Friday evening...they were all over
everything, including frantic kids (at least one of which claimed to
be allergic).It seemed to me that the bees were interested in the food
more than the water in the pool.

Does anyone have any advice to prevent the bees from coming in the
first place or a way of safely trapping and releasing them? I know
that having a water source between the pool and any hives within
foraging distance is probably a good place to start so if you or
anyone you know has hives in the vicinity, could you let me know we
can at least make sure beekeepers in the area of aware of the issue?

Many Thanks,

John