ocba - Re: [ocba] using hives of all medium size boxes

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Sandy Pruitt <spruitt56 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] using hives of all medium size boxes
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 14:37:55 -0400

Sandy,

3 medium supers are roughly equivalent to 2 deeps. My opinion is that only using 2 mediums for the brood chamber is too stingy, potentially limiting the nest size and overwintering storage capacity. But using 3 mediums is becoming very popular. The downside is that 3, rather than 2, boxes must be manipulated, but the up-side includes less weight to move around and interchangeability of all ALL of your frames & boxes.

There has been a lot of discussion about this very topic on BEE-L recently. Look under "Converting Deep Boxes to Mediums" in their archives at
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-LSOFTDONATIONS.exe?A1=ind1207&L=BEE-L

Randall Austin