ocba - [ocba] new-bee equipment question

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: chloe palenchar <cpalenchar AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] new-bee equipment question
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:46:55 +0000

I'm in the final stages of assembling my equipment for my bees. I'm a new-bee keeper, just starting this spring. I have a couple questions:
1) When I put the 10 frames in my boxes, tightly against each other, there's still quite a bit of space-- as much as .5-.75 inches. Is this normal? I ordered all equipment from Brushy Mountain.
2) I bought some shallow supers, including frames and foundation, expecting I probably won't have a chance to use them until next year. What should I do as far as storing them? Should I install the foundation, not install the foundation? Either way, then how should I store it?
3) Do you cross wire shallow frames? I have bought wired wax foundation, and am going to cross-wire my deep frames. But, am not sure what to do about the shallow frames.

thanks,

chloe

  • [ocba] new-bee equipment question, chloe palenchar, 04/24/2012