ocba - [ocba] hive beetle traps

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: annallys Goodwin-Landher <annallys AT hotmail.com>
  • To: OCBA <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] hive beetle traps
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:54:03 -0400

Hi,

Before the hive beetles reproduce in force I want to suggest looking into the Freeman Hive Beetle Trap at http://www.freemanbeetletrap.com/products_list.  It's made for both 8 and 10 frame langstroth hives.

If you are handy, you can make the frame for the hive
http://www.freemanbeetletrap.com/build_it_yourself and buy the tray.  There are other hive beetle trap designs online that may be similar, I know this one works because it's been rotated to my weakest hive for the past three years.

The last time I looked at the locally produced hive beetle trap that is similar to the Freeman trap, the tray provided too much space for the beetles to reproduce, and the tray buckled allowing space for the beetle to escape.

Annallys Goodwin-Landher
PO Box 2744
Chapel Hill, NC 27515
919 933-9109
annallys AT hotmail.com

Four years after the bees are gone, humanity is gone.

Albert Einstein

  • [ocba] hive beetle traps, annallys Goodwin-Landher, 04/17/2012