ocba - [ocba] Swarm caught yesterday

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm caught yesterday
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 07:44:02 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,

Yesterday I got a call about two small swarms in a cedar tree. The
upper swarm was too high to get to as the tree would not have
supported a ladder and me and not chased off the swarm. They left
shorty after I flew off as Meg arrived. Meg chased them but they
left the area entirely.

So I did manage to get the smaller swarm. The bees barely cover 2
frames. Question is what should I do with them? Combine them with
one of the other hives? Or add a frame of brood, it has been 2.5
weeks since I took out 5 deep frames for a nuk and I'm not sure I
want to take any more bees out of there just yet?

Also I found 3 Tulip Poplar flowers on the ground in our garden
yesterday!!! You can read a full report and watch 3 videos of the
swarms yesterday on my blog at www.rlephoto.blogspot.com

Cheers,

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC