ocba - [ocba] Swarm infested with varroa

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lynne Millies <sukamarley AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm infested with varroa
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:02:16 -0400

Hi there,

I caught my first ever swarm a couple of weeks ago and after checking them a
couple of times, I have noticed they are covered with varroa mites. When I
checked them yesterday they seem very weak, lots of deformed wings and not
many bees. My question is this, I have a hive that is doing quite well.
When I checked them yesterday, they had several frames of brood. Should I
add a frame of brood to my weak hive to help them out? Also, I'm getting 2
packages of bees in early April and would like to give them a frame of brood
to help out. Do I need to get all the nurse bees off the frame before I add
them to the new hive? I don't want to compromise my good hive, however I
would like to give them a head start.

Lynne