ocba - Re: [ocba] Package bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Kitty Cunningham <klparmley AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Liz Lindsey" <liz.lindsey AT duke.edu>, "Orange County Beekeepers Association" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Package bees
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:18:17 -0400

The feeder is where robbing can’t happen.  I have a top bar hive with a window, so it’s easy to see what going on without disturbing them.

I don’t want to cut them off before it’s appropriate, but I don’t want to give them sugar when nectar is available.

And this is new to me, so I’m checking in.

Thanks for input.

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:55 PM

You can stop feeding them only when they stop taking the sugar syrup. They prefer real nectar and will leave the syrup when there is enough nectar and enough foragers. Don't stop giving them sugar syrup until they stop taking it. You will be checking regularly for signs of their filling out the frames of wax (which requires a great deal of their energy...they must gorge to produce wax...) since it sounds like this is a brand new colony, and you will check to ensure there isn't robbing, and that it is indeed them taking up the sugar. Hope this helps.

Liz Lindsey~
Sent from my iPhone