ocba - Re: [ocba] Powered Sugar Q's

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Powered Sugar Q's
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 22:46:41 -0400

Read the studies and use what they have learned to influence your experiments.  Use google scholar and other resources to dig deep.

To conclude, the dynamics of the treatment affected the
degree of infestation in bee colonies. However, the efficacy of sugar
dusting was significantly lower in comparison with the one of flumethrin
(positive control). Thus, in spite of considerable favourable effects on
the decline in the degree of infestation with mites, by no means may
dusting with pulverised sugar be advised to beekeepers as the one and
only means of bee protection against V. destructor.

The treatment with sugar dust applied in a
way described in the work may be used as means of combat against varroa in
combination with biotechological measures or organic acids and aetheric oils in
organic bee keeping.

We reject our hypothesis that biweekly dustings with powdered sugar
would significantly reduce varroa populations. Even though dusting
with powdered sugar resulted in significant mite fall initially
(Fakhimzadeh, 2000), we did not find an overall reduction in colony
mite populations within the limits of our study.