ocba - [ocba] getting ready for honey this year

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] getting ready for honey this year
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:45:52 -0500

Hello!

I'm on my 2nd spring season and wanted to see what people think of my plan. I didn't really get any honey last year because I split the hive in the spring to get more bees. I had 2 strong hives and they still look good.

I'm wondering what to do with my colony that has one deep hive body and one med. super right now. I reversed them because the queen has brood in 5 frames of the super already, so now that's on the bottom. The hive body on the top is mostly empty. I plan to reverse it again if she moves up out of the super, or just keep adding supers on top as she goes. They will have to draw new comb in any additional supers. Maybe if I get a super or so extra of honey, I could take that off, and then when things slow down I was hoping to add another deep body and feed if necessary to get them to draw that comb and make it into a 2 deep colony.

If you follow any of that, and if anything sounds like a bad idea, let me know. I don't want to do any more splits or nucs at this time, so I hope to avoid swarms by adding supers. I'm afraid if I put a second deep on now that they have to draw out comb in, then I will miss the chance to get some honey this spring...

Alicia

  • [ocba] getting ready for honey this year, Alicia Reenders, 02/10/2012