ocba - [ocba] Mentor wanted...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Mentor wanted...
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:18:59 -0500

Hi All,

I'm a first year beekeeper. I started with a nuc (log of beekeeping here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajxus2rq3XxPdDVzT3pLOGNmMUlfN2lXYzB5U0JNQVE
)
and a copy of Delaplane's "First Lessons in Beekeeping". So far, so
good, but I think I may need to some supplemental feeding starting
soon (based on my lifting of the hive).

This year, I've preordered an early package (April 13, hoping I'll be
in time for the major nectar flow).

I'd like somebody who will either let me help them or come watch what
I'm doing and let me know if I'm doing anything really wrong. I'd
prefer to not to use any chemicals/treatments unless absolutely
necessary, so I know extra foresight/vigilance is needed there.

I just bought a copy of "Hive and the honey bee" from Dadant (the
heavy blue one). I'm going to try and buy some more supers/deeps this
week, and would like to run some scenarios by somebody who knows what
they're doing (eg screened bottom boards? 2 deeps per hive or 1 deep +
1 medium? 2 honey supers/hive?). That kind of thing.

I'm on Lewis' map; about 3 minutes from exit 170 on I-85.

Best,
Blair

  • [ocba] Mentor wanted..., Blair Christian, 01/23/2012