ocba - [ocba] honey plants

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Geneva <gggreen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: OCBA-list server <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] honey plants
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 12:21:11 -0500

Dear Orange County Beekeepers,
I have been working the last couple of years on a list of honey plants that bloom in our area. This has turned into an effort towards a book on Honey Bee Plants of the Carolinas. As part of my research I want to learn more about what people are seeing around the hives. So I have developed this survey project for 2012. What I need are volunteers who are willing to fill out a survey sheet every time they visit their beehives and pay attention to flowers blooming in and around beeyards. As a thank you for your participation.
Each person who volunteers will receive a cd containing printable forms to fill out and my 2011 bloom time table that lists many plants from our area in order of their bloom sequence last year along with their description and a color thumbnail. This will require only a small amount of time on your part but may also help you begin to keep track of what is happening in your hives.
If you would like to participate, please contact me and I will either plan to bring your cd to you at the January Meeting or will mail it to you. Please only volunteer if you are serious about participating. Your information will greatly increase our knowledge about honey bees and their forage. Thank you
Geneva Green
gggreen AT mindspring.com

ps. Just today I have seen blooming along with our Red Maple, Winter Honeysuckle, Wintersweet, Creeping Phlox, Flowering Quince, Daffodils and some Henbit.

  • [ocba] honey plants, Geneva, 01/02/2012