ocba - Re: [ocba] Bees still getting pollen!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Bees still getting pollen!
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 20:47:09 -0500

I saw several hive hauling in henbit pollen last weekend. It is a very distinctive red color.

On Dec 3, 2011, at 9:32 AM, birdcr AT concentric.net wrote:

Folks,

I'm in with Queen of the Sun as well.

Yesterday December 2 I observed between 6-10 bees a minute
bringing in large orange pollen packets! I could barely believe
it. Around here it looks as if all the wild flowers are finished.
One might speculate the pollen would be coming from frost aster,
wild mustard or turnip flowers?

Our garden has a limited amount of pollen with 3 camellia bushes
in bloom and Helleborus niger in bloom. I planted a lot of pansies
and violas in the garden a few weeks ago. Did have a bee
investigate a purple pansy flower. Does anyone know if pansies and
violas work well for bees? The Durham Garden Center has a great
selection of them BTW.

Cheers,

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC