ocba - [ocba] Telling a mated from an unmated queen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: annallys Goodwin-Landher <annallys AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Telling a mated from an unmated queen
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:31:35 -0500

Hi,

I was in my hives a week or so ago and noted that only one had capped  brood and the other two didn't.

Question:  both hives without brood have queens, the luscious smell of pheremones and honey emanates from them.  I saw each of the queens when I was putting the supers back on the hive.  How do I tell if they are mated?

Of the three hives two have younger bees, furry on the posterior side of the thoracic segment of the bee, wings intact, etc.

One hive has bees that look well used, older, with only a few younger ones.  There were fewer bees in this hive than I expected yet still they fill two supers.

Comments and responses appreciated.

Regards,

Annallys Goodwin-Landher
PO Box 2744