ocba - [ocba] 2 hives that need a home

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] 2 hives that need a home
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:31:39 -0400

Hello, sorry this is a longer email, so if you're not interested in adopting a few hives then you can stop reading!

I've been keeping bees for just 2 years now, and though I would love to make this a lifetime activity, I have an opportunity to go away on an adventure. I plan to hike the PCT trail for 6 months next year, and then do some other traveling and home-hunting in the western N.C. area.

I have 2 hives that are very strong right now. They are kept at a friends home right now but I still take care of them. She isn't sure she wants to take up bee keeping, so I'm looking for either a caretaker that  could adopt my hives for a while, or a new home and care taker. They are near downtown Durham right now. I plan to leave around March/April and return in a year, more or less. I might be interested in moving the hives during the winter.

I'm not sure how to go about this, but would be happy to talk it through with anyone that is interested. I know none of the actual bees will be there when I return, but the though of just selling them and starting completely over sounds sad. Though it may be a better option. Here's what I've though of so far. Either:
1. someone takes care of the hives where they are in exchange for them taking whatever honey or splits they want as long as I still have 2 healthy hives when I return.
2. I move the hives to someone's bee yard and they get to keep them. When I return I get to take back 2 hives of comparable size.
3. Give up on this idea and sell the whole thing.

I realize things happen and I might loose all the bees due to winter or swarming or something. This would be something we'd have to figure out and maybe make an agreement about compensation. And maybe a good reason to just sell it all.

Let me know if you are interested or have an idea and we can talk. Thanks for your help! I can give you my email to correspond one on one.

-Alicia

  • [ocba] 2 hives that need a home, Alicia Reenders, 10/16/2011