ocba - [ocba] beetle trap feedback & NEW info...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mhanks <mhanks7 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: OCBA-list server <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] beetle trap feedback & NEW info...
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:11:47 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Hello All,

Just wanted to add to the conversation about the new(ish) full bottom beetle
trap that Randy and others are now using. I got ours last week and I spent 3
hours yesterday making 4 more. I have installed our first one here last
night, but i installed mine under the landing board instead of replacing the
IPM board.

1. This will allow more air flow. It does mean there are now 2 screens so i
guess that it could reduce in a small way some that would have fallen thru
just one screen, but i feel the air flow is critical and the regular install
has very little air flow. We already have 6 varroa, 1 beetle and one wax moth
so in less than 24 hours we're off to a good start.

2. I do want to point out one great advantage is that in using vegetable
oil(in the tray) it will also help against tracheal mites. I was reading an
article in the American Bee Journal and it talked about the use of vegetable
oil (V.O.) as a means of tricking the tracheal mites by the odor of the V.O.
simulating the smell of emerging bees. The article said the mites could smell
the emerging bees (similar to odor of V.O.) and so when put into a hive it
would mask the smell so they would not known a new bee VS an old one. This is
a great step to break the cycle of trachea mites.

3. The last observation is a follow up to what Randy noticed in his tray...in
that there will be pollen in the trap...in the end this is somewhat helpful
as this would fall to the ground as litter and attract more ants. With this
litter falling and being confined to the tray this should help a bit by not
attracting and feeding the ants.

So in the end...the trap should reduce the physical mites and beetles and
confuse and shorten the reproductive cycle of the tracheal mites so all
combined this should make our girls more health and stronger...all good news
as a strong hive can combat the issues we cant see or find in time. I'll
follow up in a few weeks w/ the install of the other 4 at my other site. I
know they have to many H.Beetles.

Cheers,
marty

  • [ocba] beetle trap feedback & NEW info..., mhanks, 10/16/2011