ocba - [ocba] Added the 3rd Deep

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Zac Morris <zac AT zacwolf.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Added the 3rd Deep
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:06:52 -0400

Hey just an update.  Several weeks ago I asked about adding a third deep to my first year hive.  Got mixed reviews, but decided to go for it.  The bees had originally divided the brood into the lower deep, and honey[sugar water] into the second deep.  So I took the whole hive apart and spread the brood frames down the center of all three deeps, and put the honey frames along the outside of all three deeps.  Well sure enough, they've drawn out the new frames sam'iched in between, so I now have a three deep hive!

My thinking is that I'll be ready to split the hive next spring.  So I'm just going to let them winter "as-is" with all three deeps.

My remaining question is should I continue to feed them?  If so when should I stop?  They have well over 25 frames packed with honey from the sugar water I've been feeding them all summer long.

THANKS!
-Zac Morris

  • [ocba] Added the 3rd Deep, Zac Morris, 09/21/2011