ocba - [ocba] Beetle Trap first look found 28 beetles

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Beetle Trap first look found 28 beetles
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 07:52:01 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,

Late yesterday I opened up the hive and did most of an inspection.
The bees got angry by the time I looked at 2 brood frames so I
closed it up. I changed out the bottom board and killed 6-8
beetles on it. The new bottom board beetle trap was installed dry.
I did not have any cooking oil just expensive olive oil so I left
it dry.

This morning I counted 28 beetles in the bottom pan running around
and having a party. I poured 16 ounces of mineral oil in there and
they died quickly. The trap needs more than 16 ounces so I'll add
more later. So I'm very happy the trap it works great, unhappy
there are so many beetles in the hive. I do not have a real sunny
spot to place my hives, we are just an opening in the woods here.

My inspection of the boxes were good although I did not get a
chance to see eggs or the queen. The 3 week old new honey super
was drawn out and mostly filled with uncapped honey/sugar water,
each frame weighted about 2 pounds. The middle box a deep was
entirely full of honey/syrup and very heavy hard to lift. The
brood box was very full of bees and looked good from what I could
see.

Decided I'm going to start using empty frames and let the bees
draw their own comb. Been Reading a lot about contaminated wax in
foundation and want to stay clear of any pesticides in my hive. I
have 10 deep frames assembled with foundation if anyone would want
to trade for empty frames? Unless anyone knows where I can get
pesticide free foundation?

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC
www.rlephoto.blogspot.com

  • [ocba] Beetle Trap first look found 28 beetles, birdcr AT concentric.net, 09/21/2011