ocba - Re: [ocba] color of honey

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Peter Smith <psmith AT leaptec.com>
  • To: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] color of honey
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 14:36:35 +0000

Hi Elizabeth,

I had the same experience and could show you an almost identical difference between this years and last. Our dark honey tastes sweeter than the light. We harvested in mid July, and noticed that honey from the supers containing honey collected earlier in the season (lower on the hive) were lighter than honey collected from the top. I kept it separate during the harvest process.

A few years ago we harvested honey so dark it was referred to as our “purple” honey. I have no idea what flowers it comes from, but you know where we live – in Hillsborough surrounded by woodland. One component was definitely from our Magnolia Trees, I could smell fragrance in the hive during the collection in June. But I don’t think there are enough Magnolia flowers to account for the volume of dark honey we got.

Peter Smith