ocba - Re: [ocba] hive prep before the storm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Saundra Kirven" <skirven AT pharmasset.com>
  • To: "Libby Fogleman" <ericlibby AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: OCBA-list server <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] hive prep before the storm
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:10:08 -0400

I have my hives sitting on cinder blocks. I was going to use the
ratchet-type tie downs and strap the hive together so that the supers
don't separate from the hive body. I guess you could make loops on the
ends and use tent stakes to hold them to the ground. If the hive falls
over, at least it's intact and not broken open.

This is only my 2nd year, so maybe some of our more seasoned beekeepers
have other suggestions.

Saundra Kirven

Clinical Operations Manager

Pharmasset, Inc.