ocba - Re: [ocba] Where are the bees in the field??

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Where are the bees in the field??
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 20:38:34 -0400

Randy,
That was a fantastic report on the swarm adventure with Chris Richmond! Thanks!

On Aug 14, 2011, at 8:25 PM, birdcr AT concentric.net wrote:

Folks,

OK today I participated in the Durham Butterfly count and checked
pollinating plants for 8 hours from the Eno River State Park over
to Guess Rd and Little River County Park. I did find about 800
butterflies in all from 36 species but not one honey bee.... Lots
of bumblebees, wasps and a few moths on the flowers yet not one
honey bee. I found golden rod, lots of yellow composites, at least
a half acre of mountain mint not one bee. Did check our garden the
hive had maybe 50 bees around it but not one on any of the
flowers.

I asked the other 5 parties of people that went out around Durham
looking for butterflies and only Brian who is an excellent bug guy
said he saw 2-3 honey bees. The rest did not notice any bees
either.

So any ideas to what gives here? It was partly cloudy most of the
day with sun coming out ever so often.

Bad news I saw over 100 of those large robberflies that have been
eating bees at my hive for the past month or more.

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC
http://rlephoto.blogspot.com/

BTW if you check the link above you can see photos and read about
the swarm rescue attempt Chris Richmond made on Friday. The bees
were 60 ft up a lobolly pine.