ocba - [ocba] Honey project in community farm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Todd Walker <mtwalker AT imageray.net>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Honey project in community farm
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2011 10:14:51 -0400

Fellow beekeepers. I received this email from someone I met at the State Meeting. This project seems worthwhile. If you are interested and able to help, please contact them.

~Todd

I'm Fabian Lujan and with my wife Sandra we are from Argentina and we are beekeepers.
Also we are Farm Managers at Peacehaven Community Farm.  Peacehaven is an 89 acre farm located in Whitsett (Guilford County).  It is not your regular farm, it is a sustainable farm that connects people with disabilities with community. It has animals, a community garden where people from the community and families with kids with disabilities come to the farm and share the day working in the garden (planting, harvesting, weeding, etc) and a meal in the barn afterwards. The fruit of our garden goes to the farmers markets and also over 20% goes to our local food banks (Loaves and Fishes in Burlington, Campus Kitchen at Elon University, etc).
Steps away from the garden we have 3 beehives donated from a group of generous ladies of a Cancer Support Group.  We introduced the beehives to the farm this Spring so we have no intention of harvesting them this season.
The farm is being developed to provide housing for people with special needs to live and work at the farm. This is a very dear project for us.  We are developing Day Programs while we work towards building the first house.   We are planning to remodel one of the rooms in the barn to create a "Honey Harvest and Bottling Room".  We will keep it simple and plan to have our volunteers with special needs bottle, label and box the honey.  The sales from the honey will go toward the acquisition of more beehives next spring and some additional equipment.  The best reward on this project will be providing meaningful work to the kids doing the job.
After all this preface now comes what I would like to share with you: we are planning to have some honey bottled for sale for our big Annual Harvest Celebration on November 6th.   We plan to label the honey as: Local Wildflower Honey from (beekeeper's name) bees and Bottled at Peacehaven Community Farm.
Here my question: do you think that Orange County Beekeepers would consider making a monetary donation to Peacehaven Community Farm or a donation of honey (one gallon, two gallons, etc) for that purpose? We can provide them with a receipt for the donation.   Peacehaven is a non-profit incorporated in the state of North Carolina with 501-(c) (3) tax exempt charitable status.
Thank you for considering partnering with us in this project.  I look forward to your thoughts and hope that you will share this email with all Orange County Beekeepers.
For more information about Peacehaven please go to: www.peacehavenfarm.org <http://www.peacehavenfarm.org/>
Warmest regards,

Fabian Lujan
Burlington, NC