ocba - Re: [ocba] OCBA Meets Thursday, July 14th at 7 PM.

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Liz Lindsey <liz.lindsey AT duke.edu>
  • To: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] OCBA Meets Thursday, July 14th at 7 PM.
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 12:12:02 -0400

Dear Fellow Beekeepers,

Like Lewis, I also agree more information is better. To this purpose, I sent out two news articles regarding national articles about pesticides, bees, and Bayer. These articles (news to me) shed a negative light on Bayer in relation to pesticides, and I was surprised to find I had not yet heard about this from any perspective—positive or negative.

That being said, I personally commend any beekeeper who is willing to share their knowledge—be they speakers at the meetings; workshop leaders; volunteers at festivals; providers of reading materials, and those who mentor new beekeepers. We have all learned from fellow beekeepers passing on knowledge, whether we agree or not—the passing on of knowledge is a gift. I hope that no beekeeper is out to tar and feather a fellow beekeeper. We beekeepers are a rare breed, globally low in numbers, and we would serve a vital cause to welcome all who wish to keep bees. The world’s food supply depends on the health of the species that draws us together. Our work is deeply important to bees and humans alike.

As Americans, we are extremely fortunate to be freely entitled to read anything we wish, “with one eye”, to “listen with one ear” (as one fellow beekeeper emailed), and develop and voice our own thoughts. We all deserve to be respectfully heard, regardless of whether others agree or not.

My hope is that we take a lesson from the worker bees—to work cooperatively with one another for a common goal—surviving and thriving.

Sincerely, Liz Lindsey

Rethinking the BoundariesLiz Lindsey
Faculty Assistant
Duke University's Fuqua School of Business

100 Fuqua Drive, Box 90120, Durham, NC 27708-0120 USA
Tel +1.919.660.7788  |  Fax +1.919.660.7971

                           Watch our video at www.fuqua.duke.edu/wakeup