ocba - Re: [ocba] OCBA Meets Thursday, July 14th at 7 PM.

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] OCBA Meets Thursday, July 14th at 7 PM.
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 22:16:04 -0400

I hope folks on both sides of this issue will come and listen to Dick.  He is a bee person who works for Bayer.  He has been a bee person for 30 years.  He has been a Bayer person for 3 years.  He has been to my bee yards and seen my problem hives including sac brood, braula, nosema, and mites.  He has not recommended that I dose them with a chemical cocktail.

Even if you don't use any chemicals of any sort in your hives, the fact remains that your bees are exposed.  Our new foundation comes from the factory pre-dosed with fluvalinate and coumophous.   Foragers bring tainted nectar and pollen to the hive everyday.  Without a doubt, our bee's exposure to pesticides is a serious issue.

In my opinion, more information is better.  I suggest that we at least listen to his talk before we tar and feather him.

I am attaching his short bio for your consideration.

Full disclosure here...I have built some bee equipment for Bayer at Dick's request and I work part time as a research tech for a contract research organization that does work for Bayer and other agribusiness/crop science companies.