ocba - [ocba] Small Scale Honey Harvesting Workshop, Thursday June 30, 3:00 pm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Sammy Slade <sammy_slade AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <growingsmallfarms-owner AT lists.ncsu.edu>, <local-foods-action-plan-owner AT lists.ncsu.edu>, <chathambeekeepers-owner AT lists.ncsu.edu>, <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <transitioncch-food AT googlegroups.org>
  • Cc: project4 AT mindspring.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Small Scale Honey Harvesting Workshop, Thursday June 30, 3:00 pm
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:50:18 +0000

Dear friends,

Another friend (Barbara Trent) has organized this workshop, sorry about the short notice, please forward to your networks and consider going ..

--Sammy

"A real revolution is born from genetic memories of ancient reality."  -- Roxy Gordon

Small Scale Honey Harvesting Workshop, Thursday June 30, 3:00 pm

Our hives are full and we are extruding honey. Come learn about the process.

This workshop will take you through the process of harvesting honey from backyard beehives. We'll start by opening the hives and pulling out all the frames full of honey, and then the frames will be cleaned of all the bees and taken in to where we will spin the honey. The frames will then be uncapped using both an electric hot-knife as well an old fashioned serrated one to give you an idea of the different way's its done. From there the frames will be loaded 4 at a time into the hand-cranked spinner. Once they've all gone through the spinning process all the tools and frames will go back outside for the bees to reclaim any leftover honey, prior to being replaced back on the hives. We will clean down the extruder and fill small jars with some of our precious honey so you can each take a sample home with you. That will complete our workshop.

We have room for 10 participants. We are requesting a $15. donation for adults and $5.00 donations for youth accompanied by an adult.

Matthew Diez-Arguelles will be leading the workshop. If you have any questions and to reserve a spot call 919-967-3966 or e-mail:
mdiezarguelles AT gmail.com

Old Oak Homestead, 2007 Jo Mac Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27516.

From Chapel Hill go west on HWY 54 about 6 miles till you come to Bethel Hickory Grove Church Road. (If you get to the American Stone Company, you have just missed the road) The road only goes to the left. Take it to the first paved road on your right, Jo Mac Road. Drive about 1 mile and the old farmhouse will be on your right. 2007 Jo Mac Road.

  • [ocba] Small Scale Honey Harvesting Workshop, Thursday June 30, 3:00 pm, Sammy Slade, 06/29/2011