ocba - Re: [ocba] New findings in colony collapse

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Chris and Lisa Laudeman <chrisandlisa AT laudeman.com>
  • To: annallys Goodwin-Landher <annallys AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] New findings in colony collapse
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:14:04 -0400

For those interested, I haven't seen a link to the original research article posted:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0013181

The link is to PLoS ONE, an online journal from the Public Library of Science.

If you are thinking conspiracy theory, bear in mind that our respected academic entomologists have been duped as well or must be complicit.

The virus has actually been previously identified and characterized, and I think it is widely distributed in insects.   It "normal" prevalence in bees is another question.  It is actually pretty fascinating.  The fungus (microsporidium, actually) has also been previously characterized and is well known to beekeepers:  Nosema!

Many things are possible.

Remain skeptical,

Chris