ocba - [ocba] OCBA Meeting Thursday, Oct 4th at 7 PM

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] OCBA Meeting Thursday, Oct 4th at 7 PM
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:48:18 -0400

Hello Beekeepers,
Please mark your calendars for Thursday evening!  It's going to be a good one.  Dick Rogers, who did a presentation at EAS this summer in the beeyard will be with us.  The title of his talk will be "The Status of Honey Bee Health: Risks, research and recommendations".  In this talk he will review the many factors that are negatively affecting honey bees, show some methods he uses for investigating bee health, present some research results, and offer some suggestions for improving management and health of honey bees (rules of beekeeping, aka best management practices).

Dick has a long and impressive cv.  In fact I'm having a hard time picking the highlights so I'll just paste it at the end of this note for you to read through.  I was fortunate to be able to spend a day with Dick in my yards a few weeks ago looking through hives.   Of course we found mites, deformed wing virus, k-wing, and even evidence of braula coeca.  Please come out Thursday evening and welcome him.

We will have dinner at The Village Diner in Hillsborough at 5:45 for anyone that would like to join us.

Don Hopkins and/or Will Hicks will be on hand with the fair sign up sheet and tickets for those volunteers who sign up or who have already signed up.

Lewis

Dick is a professional entomologist with 30+ years experience in apiculture and tree
fruit entomology.  He has been keeping and studying honey bees since 1973.  He started
his entomology career as a consultant to the Nova Scotia tree fruit industry.  Later he
served as extension entomologist / apiculturist for the Nova Scotia government.  Dick
returned to the private sector in 2000 as President of Wildwood Labs Inc, a contract
research firm based in Nova Scotia, Canada.  His work at WLI involved international
contract research and consulting, monitoring orchards for insect development and
forecasting, house fly surveys and recommendations, and insect identification services to
the general public, government and other organizations.  The field and lab research
included bees, orchard IPM, bioherbicides, and vegetable trials.  As well, he provided bee
health inspection services for the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island.
Dick is now working as an entomologist with Bayer CropScience.  His role at BCS is
to plan, coordinate and execute bee studies and to be an internal and external resource on
bee health issues.
In addition, Dick taught entomology at Acadia University for three years, and is an
adjunct professor at the university.  His teaching experience includes many short courses,
workshops, and seminars dealing with apiculture, entomology and IPM.  Speaking
engagements and training sessions related to apiculture have been delivered in most
Canadian provinces, in numerous US states (including AZ, CA, NC, DC, VA, MT), as
well as in Portugal, France, Corsica, Germany, The Netherlands, England, and Italy.
Dick is also working toward a Ph.D. from Wageningen University, The Netherlands.
The title of his thesis is Investigations of the Multi-factors Affecting Honey Bee Health.
He was also coordinator for the International Apis Health Assessment Committee
(IAHAC), a working committee of the Europe-based International Commission on Plant-
Bee Relationships (ICP-BR) Bee Protection Group.  Dick is currently co-supervising a
Ph.D. student working on Nosema.  Finally, he has written articles on choosing
carbohydrates for feeding bees, how-to-monitor Nosema, and has authored or co-authored
many other research papers and articles.