ocba - [ocba] OCBA Meeting Thursday, July 8th

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <Lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: bees County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] OCBA Meeting Thursday, July 8th
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 20:52:40 -0400

Hello Beekeepers,
OCBA will be meeting this Thursday, July 8th at the Ag Extension office in Hillsborough.  Many of us will be at the NCSBA Summer Meeting in China Grove on Thursday but if you can't make it to that, please come to the OCBA meeting.  Longtime OCBA member and past president Ken Medlin will be doing a program on equipment.

As you know, our regular meeting space at the Ag Extension office has been in limbo lately.  The Orange County asset manager has decided that groups will no longer be allowed to use the food lab (the room where we generally meet) on nights or weekends without a staff member on hand.  Ag Agent Carl Matyac will join us this month.  I have spoken to Carl about our problem and I believe he will be an advocate for us as we try to convince Orange County that we are worthy of using that space once a month.  We are still homeless for the moment, but Carl will be with us on Thursday as our chaperone of sorts.  I encourage you to introduce yourself to Carl at the meeting and tell him how much we appreciate him showing up to help us.  I have had many good interactions with Carl at the Breeze Farm in Cedar Grove and feel like he may be our best advocate.

It's not too late to enjoy the NCSBA Summer Meeting.  There will be plenty of opportunities to learn as well as compete.  Our own Randall Austin will be receiving his Master Beekeeper award at the banquet on Friday evening and I hope that OCBA will be recognized as a Golden Achievement Chapter.  I also hope to pick up OCBA's new extractor from Dadant at this meeting.  When I spoke with Dadant the other week, they were a bit concerned that all of the parts for the kit may not be in stock in time for the meeting.  We'll see what happens but I expect to be bringing OCBA's 6 frame radial home on Saturday.  I'll try to keep you guys updated through the weekend.

Don't forget that EAS is only 4 weeks away.  Don't miss this fantastic opportunity.  Find out more about EAS here

June meeting minutes from our Secretary Lizbeth Collins are attached.

As usual, folks will be gathering at The Village Diner in Hillsborough for a pre-meeting meal at 6 on Thursday.

.

Cheers,

Lewis

JPEG image