ocba - [ocba] Looks like hive has swarmed

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Konrad Catolos <koncat AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Looks like hive has swarmed
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:58:32 -0400

Hi all,

I have two hives and one has swarmed. It was the hive that needed to be
re-queened a while back. It was checked out by an experienced beekeeper about
a month ago and he thought it looked good. The activity has been low, but
looked like it was progressing well. I checked both hives four ago and saw
good activity from the outside and did not look in. Checked again yesterday
and saw no activity from the re-queened hive so i looked inside. no-one was
home! there were a few random bees and some ants were starting to check
things out. Is there time to try to start a new hive? How do I get the frames
ready? i.e scrape, etc.. Should i try to remove some frames from the "good"
hive and split? No sign of the swarm in the immediate area.

thanks for the help,

Konrad