ocba - [ocba] state fair

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Geneva <gggreen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] state fair
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:31:41 -0400

Hi All!
Thanks for your enthusiasm about ocba's booth at the October State Fair. Many people signed up at Thursday's Meeting but there is still room if you want to participate.  Below is some background information about the the purpose of the booths and what they look for in the competition.  Last year  OCBA won a blue ribbon for our booth and Best In Show, thanks especially to the hard work of Connie Harrell.

The booth consists of a yellow fabric backdrop behind 3 wide shelves with some floor space in front. Here is last year's booth

This year's theme is My First Year Beekeeping.  We will try to give fair goers an opportunity to learn about keeping bees and hopefully recruit some new beekeepers.

The shelves we be divided into the Seasons.

The Top  which has the tall area of curtain behind it will be for Winter.  This area also has to include our club sign which is something like 1' 6" by 4'.  I hoped we could have some information about attending bee school [I have lots of photos, if we want to blow some up].  It could also include preparing equipment and information about hive bodies.  Any information about bee anatomy or social structure or anything specific you learned in bee school or as you were just starting out as a beekeeper could be included here.

SignUp
Lizbeth Collins
Betsy Kemptor
Hilton Holcomb
plus more???

Upper Shelf will be about Spring.  If memory serves the back of the shelf is about 2' high and a little more than 3' wide and maybe 5' long.[ I will get exact dimensions as we get closer] I thought it would be great to talk about packages, but I think anything about queens and brood would also be appropriate

Sign Up
Saundra Kirven
Jane Saiers
???

Lower Shelf will be Summer.  This is where we can display our honey, and extractors and talk about swarms.  [i have lots of good swarm photos if you need them.]  Space is similar to the upper Shelf.
Sign up
Jerom Schiro
Eric Solie
????

The floor area in front is a little larger and fenced in with a rustic split rail fence.  You also have the curtain from the 3rd shelf to work with.  This will be about Fall and will include other products of the hive, like wax and perhaps a discussion of bee diseases and preparing a colony to overwinter.  There have been lots of questions about CCD so this might be the place to address them.

SignUp
Lizbeth Collins
Geneva Green
Ray Aponte

The Judges look at Education, Creativity, Originality and Quality.  Last year we were very strong on originality.

What I need to know form you is:
If you haven't signed up and want to be involved, and for what season.
If you have already signed up the best way to reach you and/or your email address
If you want to try to meet as a group or if you want to coordinate with the people on your team directly.
If you would like me to meet with your team to help get you started.

We do not need to make or create everything ourselves.  If there is something that you need, someone in the club may already have it or could help construct it for us.  Whatever I can provide, just ask.  I think our goals should be to have a good time and get to know one another and to create something lovely that will help the general public understand more about honey bees and why we love them
Thanks
Geneva