ocba - [ocba] European foulbrood?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Adamson <cadamson AT alumni.unc.edu>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] European foulbrood?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:08:23 -0400

Hi folks,

I've been seeing some "melted" larvae and other symptoms that I think may indicate a mild case of european foulbrood.  No foul odor, no ropy scales - I'm certain it's not AFB.  I understand that this is a stress disease, and something that the girls may clear up on their own.  But I've never seen it before.

Is there anyone on the list who has personally seen EFB before?  If so, do you have the time in the next couple of weeks to take a look at my colony and confirm?  I've been told that requeening/confining the queen can help clear up EFB but would prefer not to interrupt laying without a second opinion on these brood symptoms.

Thanks!
Catherine